S-115 53 Stockholm
Tel: +46 8 660 55 35
Fax: +46 8 660 01 77
The Swedish Migraine Association (Svenska Migränförbundet – SMIF) was founded in 1990. It is the patient organisation for people living with migraine and other headache disorders.
We aim to assist, support and represent people with migraine while raising awareness of the nature of the condition. There are over 1 million people in Sweden who suffer from migraine and the estimated cost for the Swedish economy is over 1,4 billion Euros annually in lost productivity.
The Swedish Migraine Association works towards alleviating the burden of migraine headaches and other headaches in Sweden by providing a wide range of services including:
- Regional and local sub organizations offering a closer contact with the members. They give lectures and offer various programmes for the members.
- The Magazine “MigränBladet”, issued four times a year.
- Publications like folders on migraine, tension type headache, Cluster Headache, headache among children, youngsters and hormone related headache, books and films.
- www.migran.org website.
- Self-help groups.
- Advocacy and lobbying
- Headache-teams in primary care
- National guidelines on headache
- Rehabilitation – headache schools within the regions
- Internet based network for people with Cluster Headache
- Awareness campaigns: Migraine Action Month in September as a part of the World Headache Awareness Month and also September 12, Migraine Action Day as a part of the European Headache Alliance campaigns.
SMIF is a membership based organisation with over 2,600 members. We are members of the World Headache Alliance and the European Headache Alliance. We have twelve regional and three local sub organisations.